Rural Hill is a historic site, nature preserve, cultural events site, and living farm. With 265-acres this Mecklenburg County park containing a portion of the land once owned and farmed by six generations of the Davidson family. There are eight historic structures on site. The Bethesda Schoolhouse is one of the first African-American schools (1900) and only one of two still standing in Mecklenburg County. The Davidson One-Room Schoolhouse (1890) is restored at its original site. Enjoy the solitude of nature while hiking several miles of trails and visit the historic farm’s adorable highland cows, blacksmith, and open hearth cooking cabin. Rural Hill is the home of many special events and now home to Hops and Hogs Festival.
Address: 4431 NECK RD HUNTERSVILLE, NC 28078
From Statesville or I-40 Heading South Toward Huntersville:
1. Take I-77 South to Exit #25. (Huntersville) and turn RIGHT. (This is Highway #73).
2. Go West on HWY #73 approximately 3 miles passing the Birkdale Village area.
3. Turn LEFT on Beatties Ford Road. (Exxon gas station is on your left as you turn.
4. Follow Beatties Ford Road approximately 3 miles passing Bradley Middle School on your right.
5. Continue approximately 1 mile and turn RIGHT onto NECK ROAD. Note the Historical Rock Column and the sign “Rural Hill-Center of Scottish Heritage.
6. Drive on Neck Road for approximately 2 miles, crossing McDowell Creek Bridge.
7. Rural Hill is located on the RIGHT side just past the McDowell Creek Water Treatment Plant.
8. Turn RIGHT into the SECOND ENTRANCE.
From Charlotte Heading North Toward Huntersville:
1. Go North on I-77 to Exit #16B. (Sunset Road).
2. Go to the 2nd Stop Light and turn right onto Beatties Ford Rd.
3. Follow the Beatties Ford Rd approximately 6 miles. You will pass Hopewell High School which will be located on your right.
4. Continue approximately ¼ mile and turn LEFT onto NECK ROAD. Note the Historical Rock Column and the sign
“Rural Hill-Center of Scottish Heritage”.
5. Drive on Neck Road for approximately 2 miles, crossing McDowell Creek Bridge.
6. Rural Hill is located on the RIGHT side just past the McDowell Creek Water Treatment Plant.
7. Turn RIGHT into the SECOND ENTRANCE.